A great integrated treatment!
We treat a huge range of conditions in horses, many of which are listed below. To find out more about what acupuncture could do for your horse, please call us today for more information.
Acupuncture therapy for horses
Neck and back pain
- Myofascial pain syndrome.
- Poll pain.
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) pain.
- Vertebral joint pain.
- Kissing spines.
- Pelvic pain.
Lameness and joint/muscle pains
- Navicular disease: chronic (long-term) lameness of the front feet. Intermittent but often worse after exercise, usually affecting the heels.
- Laminitis: typically a severe lameness with a rapid onset affecting one or more feet. It is associated with inflammation of the interlocking leaves (laminae) which anchor the pedal bone inside the hoof capsule.
Recurrent Airway Obstruction (RAO), also known as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder (COPD): a non-infectious condition of the airways in horses characterised by a narrowing of the small airways and increased mucous production in response to allergens in the environment.
- Chronic gastrointestinal disease.
- Chronic diarrhoea.
- Frequent spasmodic colics.
- Weight loss, inappetance.
- Post viral fatigue.
- Poor performance syndromes.
Paralysis, muscle spasm
Characterised by a loss of muscle tone and control. It is most commonly seen in the tail, hind and front legs though it can affect specific muscle groups such as those of the face, and can be accompanied by a loss of feeling in the affected area. The condition results from damage to the nerves that supply that area and may be either temporary or permanent depending on the severity of the damage.
Frequently associated with undiagnosed, chronic pain.
Difficulty or a complete inability to conceive. It can result from a problem with sperm production in the male or egg production and implantation in the female.
If you would like to find out more about AcuVets’ acupuncture services for horses, or would like to make a booking, contact us today.